Oct. 12 Matt Wilhelm Award Watchlist – Morning Journal
The Matt Wilhelm Award is presented to the Morning Journal Football Player of the Year. A watchlist of the region’s top players will be released each week prior to the award ceremony.
This list is fluid and can change from week to week.
This list is in alphabetical order:
• WR Connor Awad, Midview: With eight games, he’s the region’s top receiver for catches and yards. At 54 catches for 755 yards and five touchdowns. In a Week 8 win over North Ridgeville, seven assists for 119 yards and two scores.
• RB Tommy Bebie, Rocky River: With eight games, he’s one of the region’s top three rushers with 923 yards on just 94 carries. Also scored 13 touchdowns and caught 14 passes for 163 yards. Lead the Pirates with 79 tackles. In Week 8, he made seven carries for 72 yards and caught four passes for 48 yards.
• RB Jakorion Caffey, Avon: Activated it for the Eagles in the second half of the season. In Avon’s Week 8 win over Berea-Midpark, he rushed for five touchdowns and caught another touchdown pass.
• QB Andrew Champagne, Colombia: In eight games for the No. 4 ranked Raiders, he threw for 1,282 yards and 12 touchdowns. Also ran for 165 yards and five more TDs.
• QB Charlie Ciolek, Olmsted Falls: In a Week 8 win, he ran for 20 yards and was a perfect 7-for-7 pass for 108 yards and a touchdown.
• RB Marco Cirigliano, Colombia: One of the best rushers in the region with 923 yards on 114 carries. Scored a Lorain County leading 22 touchdowns including 20 rushing. Has ten catches for 125 yards this season.
• RB Rocco Conti, Olmsted Falls: In the Bulldogs’ Week 8 win, he had 90 yards and three touchdowns on 11 carries. Also caught a pass for seven yards.
• QB Sam DeTillio, Avon: In Avon’s win over Berea-Midpark, he threw for 108 yards on 10 of 12 passes with two touchdowns. Came into week 8 as the region leader in touchdowns with 14.
• RB Levi Ellis, Elyria Catholic: Has 1,087 rushing yards in eight games in just 164 carries. With 20 touchdowns on the ground, he ranks among the top scorers in the region. He also has 14 catches for 164 yards and leads the Panthers on defense with 81 tackles.
• RB Gideon Lampron, Keystone: In seven games, he has 765 rushing yards on 96 carries for 12 touchdowns. At 14 catches for 156 yards. On defense, the Wildcats lead the Wildcats with 89 tackles and have a record 21 tackles for loss.
• WR Owen Menge, Colombia: In eight games, he has 23 catches for 446 yards and four touchdowns for the undefeated Raiders. Has 404 rushing yards and ten touchdowns. Including punt and kick returns, he has 1,184 all-purpose yards.
• QB Kyle Ransom, Firelands: Through eight games, 972 passing yards and eight touchdowns with a 71 percent completion percentage. Is also the Falcons’ first rusher with 568 yards and 8 touchdowns on 59 carries.
• QB Marc Reed, Midview: Is the region’s leading passer in eight games, although he did not start the season as a starter for the Middies. At 1,670 yards and 11 touchdowns with a 63% completion percentage. In a Week 8 win, he threw for 260 yards and three touchdowns for a 125.6 quarterback rating.